A Visit to a Hospital - English Essay

A Visit to a Hospital

English Essay on "A Visit to a Hospital"

One of my friends is a doctor at a local hospital. Once I went to see him during his duty-hours. He was going on his daily round in the hospital. So I silently accompanied him as he visited patient after patient, from one ward to another.

It was a small hospital. It had there wards, one for male patients, one for female patients and the one for children. The doctor being male, was to visit only the first and the third ward. As we entered the first ward, I saw some thirty beds arranged opposite to each other with a passage between them. Men lying on them wore striped clothes. My doctor friend stopped at the first bed. The poor fellow had broken his leg in a motor accident. The bandaged part of the leg indicated the place of injury.educationsight.blogspot.com He complained to the doctor of severe pain. The doctor told the nurse on duty to give him aspirin, and moved to the next bed. This person had a serious stomach trouble for which he had to be operated upon. He was, however, recovering fast. The nest two patients were asleep so the doctor inquired from the nurse of their condition.

In some forty five minutes, the doctor had examined each patient and given instructions in each case. My friend must have been very humane in treating his, patients, for Law that almost all of them welcomed him with a cheerful, confident smile. But I knew that behind these smiles was hidden bitter pain and heartrending misery. That .day I realized how helpless man could be before disease and sickness. There were those who had sore eyes, those had fractured” arms, those who suffered from smallpox, typhoid and cancer.

Then w entered the children’s ward. I was grieved to see the little boys and girls suffering from fever, typhoid and other such diseases. The doctor took thirty minutes to complete his round. I kept on looking, in the meantime, at the innocent faces. Some of the small boys and girl were crying in pain, some were sleeping while others were eating the sweets theirs parents had brought for them. A few of them were reading story books.

I spent about one hour and a half in the hospital. But I did not think I had wasted the time. On the contrary, had, perhaps for the first time, seen a tragic but real aspect of human life. That day, I understood why it is vain to be proud and haughty. Man is great, no doubt, but he is also humble. And the expressions I observed on the patients’ faces! They remembered God in their trouble, repented’ their sins and implored the Almighty to have mercy on them. I felt as if this experience had renewed my faith in God.

As I came out of the hospital had a feeling that. I had been changed from within. I felt sympathy for the suffering men and children and I realized the helplessness of man. The visit to the hospital taught me the lesson of humility which I could not have understood otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment